Splitwise is looking for a Backend Software Engineer to join our growing team. At Splitwise, backend engineers are generalists who work on public-facing features, design and implement the APIs that power our web and mobile apps, and work on important parts of our infrastructure, including database scaling and performance, analytics, operations, and security. You’ll be helping millions of people share expenses with each other and help take the stress out of awkward conversations about money.
We use Ruby on Rails to power our APIs, and run our infrastructure on a mixture of Amazon Web Services and Heroku. We deploy many times per day, building new features while maintaining backwards compatibility with older versions of our app. As a company, we believe in writing code that is reliable and maintainable, and in testing that code (even in production) to make sure we can depend on it for years to come.
This job reports to Splitwise’s co-founder Ryan. We’re considering junior, mid-level, and senior candidates who are comfortable working in Ruby. You'll collaborate with other engineers (as well as our product and business team) to implement new features and help Splitwise scale to tens of millions of users. We're currently a small team of about 10 people – you will make a huge difference.
WHAT YOU'LL ACTUALLY DO AT SPLITWISE:
- Build and maintain backend services that are used by millions of people
- Work with the team to plan API and architecture updates to our Ruby on Rails codebase
- Monitor the health of Splitwise in production and make sure your code runs smoothly
- Integrate Splitwise with third parties in ways that delight users
- Support users directly and fix bugs that you find
- Write tests for new updates to make sure they're reliable
THINGS ABOUT YOU:
- You enjoy working in a team, are welcoming to newcomers, and treat everyone with empathy and respect. You freely give and receive constructive feedback with openness and kindness
- You have strong communication skills, both verbally and in writing. You are clear and concise with both fellow engineers and non-engineers and are easy to collaborate with
- You are curious and energetic about tackling hard new problems in new areas. You love to self-teach and demonstrate initiative for learning. You believe that iterating quickly and getting real-world feedback is the best way to learn
- You take ownership for your work, lead by example, eagerly accept responsibility and work to improve the systems you are part of. You are fundamentally serious about our mission and the trust that users place in your work, even in a very informal and non-hierarchical workplace
- You're willing to come join us at our office in Providence, RI. (If you're not from around here, we can help you move!)
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Code fluency and good taste in terms of clear, maintainable code
- Attention to detail and thorough exploration of edge-cases, potential problems and repercussions of your technical decisions
- Level-appropriate experience with Ruby, Ruby on Rails, and modern distributed web applications. We’re looking for candidates who won’t be starting from scratch with Ruby and/or Rails, and will enjoy the opportunity to work more in Ruby and grow their expertise. Mid-level and senior candidates should have relevant experience working on a substantial production back-end system, ideally in Ruby on Rails
- Level-appropriate flair in an area useful to Splitwise. For instance: system design, scaling database operations, developer operations, product design, technical writing, speaking, etc.
- A 4-year Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering, or equivalent experience
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to build, rebuild and scale features to support tens of millions of additional users
- How to deploy major updates in a large-scale production environment
- How to design systems that are fault-tolerant and secure
- How to react effectively when something unexpected happens
- How to make product design decisions through feedback and user testing
- How a small, transparent start-up operates
We are an equal opportunity employer that cares deeply about diversity in tech, and we strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds. We want to build a team at Splitwise that reflects the real world. We hope that team includes you!
Splitwise serves millions of users of all different ages and backgrounds in 170+ countries, and has raised money from leading investors in San Francisco, Boston, and New York. Join us in our mission to reduce the stress that money places on relationships, and help millions of friends and families around the world.
- Competitive salary
- Equity/stock options
- Fully-paid health care (50% for dependents)
- 6 weeks of vacation per year
- 12+ weeks of parental leave
- Transit benefits or free parking
- Sponsored tickets to industry conferences
- Choice of work laptop and desk
- Three paid team meals each week
- Flexible hours
- Relocation benefits
- Dental and vision plans available