USRA is the prime contractor for the NASA Academic Mission Services (NAMS) contract at NASA Ames Research Center. Our NAMS mission is to perform strategic multi-disciplinary research and development that supports NASA’s long-term mission requirements across aeronautics, space and earth sciences, and advanced information technologies.
This position is in support of our aeronautics research helping develop the next-generation air transportation system for both conventional aircraft and unmanned aircraft systems through development and integration of advanced autonomy and software systems. The team provides software development for prototype and fielded versions and future enhancements of software systems. The team works closely with NASA personnel and supports a broader team of government, academic, and industry partners.
The Sr. Software Engineer will support software integration, development and test of concepts and algorithms for one or more special projects. The Sr. Software Engineer will work in a small team of highly motivated software developers and aviation researchers that is central to the national effort supporting development and deployment of aeronautic technologies.
- Contribute to the development of the project; specifically in the area of trajectory modeling and schedule algorithm.
- Work with extended teams on system concepts into software requirements
- Design, implement, and test complex features that pertain to the system
- Maintain and upgrade current software
- Prepare documentation
- Other job related duties as assigned
- Work productively in a team environment
- Minimum B.S. degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related degree.
- 10+ years of experience of developing software in Java, C, C++
- Experience with maintenance and upgrade of current software, new code generation, and documentation
- Knowledge of object oriented methodologies and structured programming principles.
- Knowledge of multithreaded distributed software on multiple platforms, including systems.
- Familiarity with the software development life cycle.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to work collaboratively and effectively with the customer and team members.
- Strong analytical skills
- Software algorithm development, client/server messaging based distributed software development
- Practical experience with IDEs, preferably Eclipse, debuggers, source control and bug tracking
- Demonstrated experience with scripting languages, such as, Python, AWK, PERL, and various Unix shells.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively in an interdisciplinary team
- Self-motivated; works independently and productively
- Commitment to writing high quality code
- Compliance to coding standards and documented procedures
- Platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux, Embedded Linux, IOS, Android,
- Web Technologies: Java EE, ASP.NET, Rails, Web Services, HTML5,
- Databases: MS SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL,
- Application Servers: IIS, WebSphere, WebLogic, Tomcat, JBoss
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, etc. Extensive online usage. This is largely a sedentary role.
All interested candidates must apply directly on our website at https://usracareers.silkroad.com/.
USRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity