The Operations Engineering Team's mission is to deliver software solutions that preserve and grow Hopjump's profits by either driving revenue growth or cutting operational costs. All members of this team take ownership and provide leadership across all of Hopjump's infrastructure (both software and hardware) including all email and data processing systems. An ideal candidate will be able to align infrastructure engineering activities with business objectives to ensure consistent and predictable operational success.
Things You'll Like About Hopjump:
- We value and encourage creative thinking & intellectual curiosity.
- You'll have a very clear understanding of how your work matters to the company.
- You'll find interesting new challenges every day on the forefront of online marketing.
- You'll be given the responsibility to have a big impact on and opportunities for leadership within our business from early on.
- You'll be part of a passionate team with broad skills and interests.
- We have fun! Frequent company outings, lunches, and parties.
- We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a relaxed work environment with plenty of perks.
A successful engineer on the Infrastructure Team at Hopjump will:
- Build cloud-based (AWS) micro-services – primarily in Python, (occasionally in Ruby)
- Implement well-defined features with good test coverage and peer reviews.
- Take a growth-oriented approach, aggressively seeking opportunities to maximize business value delivered.
- Be capable of owning the entire development lifecycle of internally-facing software products within three months of starting, including requirements gathering, implementation, testing, deployment, and ensuring business goal achievement.
- Maintain and support our Kubernetes cluster, providing assistance and training to other engineering teams in deploying their projects.
- Provide ongoing support and monitoring for all internal infrastructure, including both legacy and newly developed systems
- Be ready & able to learn/use Python, Ruby & Ruby on Rails on a daily basis!
- Strike a balance between pragmatic, timely short-term solutions and technical debt avoidance.
- Manage infrastructure costs; evaluating opportunities for savings and documenting increases in infrastructural needs.
What we're looking for:
- B.A./B.S. in Computer Science, or a closely-related field
- 1-5 years of relevant work experience
- The ability to plan out a process and execute on it on a daily basis with an emphasis on achieving measurable results
- A passion for personal growth and a demonstrated ability to learn quickly
- Experience with the technologies commonly used in our environment is a plus, but not strictly required. Some of these technologies are: Docker, Redis, Apache Kafka, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Amazon Redshift, InfluxDB, uWSGI, Airflow, Ansible, and many more.
Well qualified candidates will embody our leadership principles:
- Accountability: what happens within your project and team is your responsibility
- Traveler-focused: grow the business providing our travelers with the best options and experience
- Aggressiveness and focus: ensure that all work is devoted to the mission of growing Hopjump as fast as possible
- Work hard: lead by example, and exhibit discipline required to make great things happen
- Output; consistently deliver results
- Communicate: be in-touch frequently and clearly with all relevant parties
- Initiative: recognize and meet needs within your team quickly, proactively help other teams during crisis (deliverability collapse, weekend ops issues)
- High standards for yourself and your team; accept nothing less
- Don't over-engineer: build what you need with the future in mind, and iterate rapidly
- Know the data: be open to new ideas, and go deep to prove assertions and understand outcomes
- Conviction: chase aggressive goals, challenge decisions candidly, and commit to the team's values and decisions, once determined
- Bias for Action: speed matters, make decisions quickly that are reversible, take calculated risks