In the words of Inc Magazine “Web Summit is the largest technology conference in the world”. Forbes says Web Summit is “the best tech conference on the planet”, Bloomberg calls it “Davos for geeks”, Politico “the Olympics of tech”, and the Guardian “Glastonbury for geeks”.
Whatever Web Summit is it wouldn’t be possible without an incredible team of nearly 200 employees, including world class engineers, data scientists, designers, producers, marketers, salespeople and more.
We’ve disrupted an old industry by building incredible software and designing mind-blowing events. We’ve revolutionised how people come together in our world. We started with one event: Web Summit. But now we’re creating category defining events all over the world, from Asia to North America. We’re just getting started.About the team:
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineer to join the Technology Fulfilment & Innovation team in WebSummit. We are at the frontline of all on-site technology, providing systems and products with exceptional reliability, connectivity and functionality for over 100,000+ attendees.
The engineering team is broken up into smaller cross-functional teams which deliver different business projects; like ad-automation, core data APIs, attendee web applications and internal optimisation tools.
At Web Summit we believe that the power of data and engineering can be applied to every facet of our events to make the attendee experience excellent, so whatever projects you work on you’ll work closely with our UX engineers, data scientists, engineers and web developers across all our conferences: Web Summit in Lisbon, RISE in Hong Kong and Collision in Toronto.What you’ll achieve at Web Summit:
Who you are:
- You’ll work closely with the Technology Fulfilment & Innovation team, to build products for WebSummit teams and attendees - Lead Generation, Payments processing, logistics tracking for example.
- You’ll work across the stack (Our Apis are Ruby, but we also like JVM, Kotlin, Python to name a few) to deliver quality, maintainable code in order to power the best conferences in the world.
- You’ll collaborate and learn with other team members via mentoring, code reviews, and technical talks.
- You'll work onsite at our conferences, and be critical to solutions support, monitoring and incident reporting
- You’ll learn about and champion best practices in code, architecture & development process.
Skills and abilities we’re looking for:
- You have an analytical mind and love solving problems.
- You care deeply about engineering culture and the quality of products you and your team build.
- You have experience working in a Kanban or Scrum team driving everyone around you to perform to their utmost.
- You love the web and new technologies, constantly learning and improving.
- You’re knowledgeable in a broad spectrum of products and recent developments; making smart choices about technologies to be adopted.
- Ability to understand large, complex Distributed Systems with many moving, interrelated parts.
- 5+ years of commercial experience in an OOP language. We use a services architecture, with existing RESTful Apis in Ruby, but open to JVM, Kotlin, Python to name a few.
- Linux and Postgres experience ideal.
- Strong SDLC principles, TDD and CI/CD understanding.
- Good understanding of AWS.
- DevOps experience is a big plus
- Comfortable working in Scrum/Kanban environment, with Git Pull/code reviews.
Be healthy, curious and social:
- Stay healthy with our fully subsidised healthcare cover.
- Exercise your mind and body with our free gym membership and yoga.
- Enjoy your own private garden with orchard, sports equipment, and vegetables right outside your office.
- Enjoy an unlimited supply of fresh fruit, beverages and cereals.
- Master new skills from those around you with onsite talks, training initiatives and a Coursera account for everyone!
- Become workmates, not just colleagues, with our active social calendar of company celebrations, trips abroad and sports.