O.C. Tanner develops and maintains employee engagement programs that help companies drive cultures of great work. As part of that effort, we support large-scale, international, multi-million-dollar accounts from the Fortune 500 and more. And we're doing it with technologies like Kubernetes, iOS, Android, Java, Scala, Ruby on Rails, and Node.js. In addition to cutting-edge technologies, the engineer value proposition includes great medical and dental benefits, on-site dining, bonuses, paid time-off, tuition reimbursement, and a 401k plan that has been ranked one of the best in the nation.
Director Software Engineering
In this role you will assess our software development and engineering methods to identify areas for improvement and standardization. You will work closely with executive, software engineering and product management leadership to define expected outcomes and process and tooling changes. You will work closely with combined engineering and product teams to implement process and tooling changes. You will coach and influence at all levels. You will drive increased agility, throughput, predictably, innovation, and quality across an enterprise organization. You will be using cutting edge Agile methods and tools to enable teams to rapidly deliver functionality that drives customer satisfaction.
- Be highly entrepreneurial. Influence executives, leaders, business units, and technology teams on Agile principles, values, how to build, grow, and maintain a thriving agile organization at scale.
- Design and support full Agile transformation roll-outs.
- Provide Agile Leadership coaching and training to ScrumMasters, Product Owners, functional managers, and executives.
- Collaborate directly with software and operations teams to coach and guide them on the mechanics of Lean and Agile methods to achieve optimal team effectiveness.
- Deliver hands-on coaching of individual teams in all aspects of scrum and kanban - daily meetings, planning, self-organization, collaboration, iterative development, managing flow, limiting wip, etc.
- Expose our technology teams to the latest innovative thinking and ideas from the Agile community to increase agility, leveraging lean, scrum, kanban, and other agile thinking.
- Ensure strong organizational information flow (scaling the coach).
- Create, launch, and facilitate Agile collaborative groups, Communities of Practice, and Agile Working Groups.
- Continuously develop potential and existing coaches impacting all levels of the organization.
- Embrace servant leadership and display the behaviors that come with the key mindset shifts associated with Agile methods.
- Coach teams and management towards improving Agile process and metrics, evaluate and mentor existing Scrum teams, and deliver training classes for product owners, developers, and testers.
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent degree and/or work experience.
- 5+ years' experience in technology organizations.
- 3+ years of large-scale Agile coaching experience with methods such as XP, Scrum, Lean, or Kanban.
- Hands-on experience applying lean/Agile methodologies within infrastructure, hardware, and operational environments.
- Deep knowledge of Agile principles and practices and the ability to transfer that understanding at all levels of the organization.
- Consulting and facilitation skills in leading technical teams in the adoption and improvement of Agile methodologies.
- Senior Agile Leadership skills with an ability to lead by example and challenge command and control behaviors.
- Excellent presentation and training skills.
- Application of Agile principles in one or more of these development disciplines: design, development, testing, and management; can relate principles, practices into performing these disciplines in an Agile environment.