Grainger is North America’s leading Maintenance Repair & Operating provider and we are the 10th largest North American E-commerce player with over 50% of our revenue coming from online transactions. Within the Enterprise Systems team we use technology to support the ever-changing and dynamic needs of a supply chain carrying 1.5 million products and an employee base of 25,000+; and we are committed to delivering technical solutions to support the business in its mission to stay atop. We deliver technology solutions across the enterprise including our call centers, branch network, sales, and our various digital channels. The team supports over 1000 applications across the network and operates in an agile environment to deliver complex solutions quickly and seamlessly. The team of 500+ is comprised of Infrastructure + Operations, Cyber Security, Technology Planning, Architecture and Engineering and are built in a way to support the dynamic and ever changing customer landscape.
Key Technologies / Framework: Java, J2EE, Ruby on Rails, RDBS, NoSQL, Lucene, SOLR
Grainger is seeking a Data Engineer I for our Information Management practice. The role is involved in designing, implementing and managing the data and analysis platforms and infrastructure, and works closely with Architects, Data Engineers, and others to determine what data management systems are appropriate for specific solutions. The role builds and maintains data management systems to support integrations, reporting and analytical systems. In this role you will be focused on delivery and support for our current data platforms. The ideal candidate has worked in Teradata, experience in traditional relational databases, and data integration. Experience with Hadoop – both on premises and in the AWS cloud is a plus as there are opportunities to work in the data lake.
This position can be based in either downtown Chicago or Lake Forest, Illinois with occasional travel between the two locations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in building and maintaining systems that combine core data sources into data warehouses, lakes or other accessible structures.
- Assists in performing data conversion, data imports, data exports and transformations.
- Support a Teradata environment used by all areas of the business.
- Updates data dictionary.
- Assists to ensure data integrity and standardization.
- Demonstrated ability to learn from others.
- 0-1 years of experience within Data Warehousing and Analytics with demonstrable experience in data integration and data warehouse projects.
- Experience with Teradata or other RDBMS platforms is a plus.
- Prior experience building on Cloud technology providers (preference for AWS but open to Azure or GCP) is a plus.
- Coding proficiency in at least one modern programming language (i.e. Python or Java) is a plus.
- Experience with big data technologies (Hadoop, Sqoop, Hue, MapReduce, Kafka, Hive, Spark, Ranger) is a plus.
- Attention to detail, excellent problem-solving ability, and strong communication skills (written and verbal).
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent experience.
“Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status.”